PENNSYLVANIA STATE CONFERENCE OF YOUNG PEOPLE IN ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
Organize a Bid Committee consisting of at least a Chair, Co-chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Site/Hotel Chair, Outreach Chair, Events Chair, with at least three members who are under age 40 and have one or more years of sobriety.
1. Create a roster of committee members.
2. Prepare a “Need Statement” describing the benefits of hosting PENNSCYPAA in the city or region.
3. Provide financial records from all committee activities and demonstrate financial autonomy and responsibility.
4. Propose date(s) for PENNSCYPAA.
5. Obtain commitment for proposed date(s) from at least two facilities able to accommodate the entire conference, both in sleeping rooms and meeting space.
6. Bidders’ facility should accommodate at least 500-750 people for a theater-style meeting, 100 people for banquet (optional) and 4 additional rooms are also needed for the following: a.) Hospitality Room (traditionally accessible around the clock) b.) Marathon Meeting Room (continuous around the clock meetings) seating for approximately 50 people c.) Archives Room where artifacts from all previous PENNSCYPAAs are displayed (MUST be either locked-up at night or artifacts should be secured some other way to prevent theft or damage) d.) Meeting room/space to seat 25-35 people conference style for Advisory to conduct their closed business/voting meetings. Space designated for outreach tables for other YPAA committees, Area committee displays, or other AA committees is also suggested.
7. Present a list of any large-scale AA and non-AA activities scheduled to take place in your bidding region near the proposed conference date(s). Bidders should attempt to present proposed weekends that avoid other AA conferences held in the state, preferably within 30 days before or after the proposed conference date(s).
8. Letters of support from the Area and the Intergroup and/or regional counterpart are encouraged.
9. Detail committee’s efforts to engage in service to AA.
10. Include list and/or flyers demonstrating committee's outreach and events activities.
11. Copies (at least 5) of the bid book should be printed for Advisory Council.
12. Bidders should be advised that they are willing to donate 60% of remaining monies to PENNSCYPAA Advisory Council for operating expenses (if awarded the conference & are financially secure) and must return $1,000 seed money to the Council.
13. Advisory Council suggests that each bid committee submit any or all parts of their bid packet for feedback 60 days prior to the bid session at the latest. Bid packets will then be returned to the bid committee within 2 weeks.
14. Bid committees are required to submit their final bid packets seven days prior to the conference. Any changes made after the deadline can be submitted as an addendum. If a bid committee fails to submit the final packet seven days prior, the bid will be considered a walk-in.
Future of PENNSCYPAA It is very important that people spread the word about PENNSCYPAA. We are looking for your support to ensure the future of PENNSCYPAA as a statewide conference. It would be ideal to have cities and towns from all over Pennsylvania not only attending, but also bidding to host future conferences. We ask everyone to carry the message back to your home group, district, intergroup, sponsees, sponsors, and peers.
How do I bring PENNSCYPAA to my city? You must meet the bid requirements. The PENNSCYPAA Advisory Council hosts a workshop providing information about how to make a bid. Bids are accepted each year for the following year and a determination is reached. Every year, the PENNSCYPAA Advisory Council – the custodian of the PENNSCYPAA experience, made up of members from previous host committees – decides “whose house is going to have the party” next time. There are several different types of bids: 1) a “Formal Bid” meets all the bidding suggestions; 2) a “Walk-in Bid” is a spontaneous bid with little or no previous preparation; or 3) a “Token Bid” is a practice presentation for feedback and guidance to better enable the bidder with insights for preparing future bids.
PENNSCYPAA Hotel Contracts from Prior Years